Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Best home defense shotgun
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neognosis
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Webster

PostPosted: Aug 30, 2012 7:29 am    Post subject: Best home defense shotgun Reply with quote

I'm thinking the remington 870. I was at first into the benelli supernova, but I keep hearing about jamming problems.

any thoughts?

jgriffith
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Boerne

PostPosted: Aug 30, 2012 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My remington 870 has never jammed. I probably have 1000 rounds through it. Its cheap and will do the job.

I can't resist...dont the stats seem to indicate that your gun is more likely to be used to hurt someone you love than it is ever likely to be used to protect them?
Neognosis
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Aug 30, 2012 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, yes they do.

I already have a few guns in the house though, and always have.

ontrider
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Russia

PostPosted: Aug 30, 2012 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny how statistics are only relevant to certain arguments Laughing
jjaszkow
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Some Airport

PostPosted: Aug 30, 2012 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fish6942
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Aug 30, 2012 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought there was a special version of the 870 with the shortest-legal-barrel-length and an extended magazine?

Here is what I was thinking of: [/url] http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Remington-Model-870-Express-Tactical-Shotgun&i=GM443643&str=remington+870&merchID=4005[url][/url]
Neognosis
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Aug 30, 2012 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, the statistics are still relevant, I'm choosing to do the opposite of what the statistics suggest is the most prudent course of action.

I'm leaning toward the 870. can't beat a pump action, I think, for the unthinkable.

NKCrider
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: NKC

PostPosted: Aug 30, 2012 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

why not just buy a double barrel instead of bolting 2 guns together and having to fabricate brackets...
Neognosis
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Aug 30, 2012 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea, that double pump gun thing is just stupid. That is a news story waiting to happen.

I wish beretta sold 18 inch barrels that would mate to my a400.

jgriffith
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Aug 30, 2012 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that link fish6942 provided looks like the best option
Neognosis
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Aug 30, 2012 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree.
Chattwake
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Chattanooga

PostPosted: Aug 30, 2012 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hawkeye680
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Savannah

PostPosted: Aug 30, 2012 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uber-870:

http://wilsoncombat.com/new/shotgun-professional.asp
Neognosis
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Aug 30, 2012 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

someone on a shotgun forum is saying that the wilson combat is just a remington 870 with some accessories. No idea if that is true.
hawkeye680
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Savannah

PostPosted: Aug 30, 2012 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's exactly what it is. If I had the money I would send mine in for their work though. They do good stuff but you definitely pay to get the name on the side.
b_girl
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Toronto

PostPosted: Aug 31, 2012 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chattwake, that guy cracks me up Laughing
jason_ssr
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Dallas, Tx

PostPosted: Sep 03, 2012 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keltec KSG

14+1 dual tube, selectable
Bullpup design, so its super short

Load shot in one tube and slugs in the other. Select as needed

My avatar is NOT a pic of me! HAHA!
Neognosis
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Sep 03, 2012 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SSR, that there is amazing.
jason_ssr
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Sep 03, 2012 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are sweet! However, like most cool Keltec stuff they are hard to find and sell 50% over sticker. Hopefully supply catches up with demand and we can get em for a reasonable price.

Neognosis
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Sep 04, 2012 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how the reliability is. Seems like a lot to go wrong with it, with the magazine switch and the linkages that I suspect have to exist to make a bullpup configuration work...
vette74
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Houston

PostPosted: Sep 04, 2012 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neognosis, I hear they have a problem with people short stroking ( insert dirty comment here) the action while pumping it.
Rhawn
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Richmond, V to the Izzay

PostPosted: Sep 04, 2012 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been going back and forth between the 870 and the Mossberg .500. The location of the safety on the Mossberg might be the deal sealer. Clear and in your face. Perfect if the wife has to shoot it.

They had that Keltech at the last gun show I went too. Something along the lines of what Neognosis said was the discussion, reliability questions.

jason_ssr
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Sep 04, 2012 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, basically the only gripe is the short stroking it, but thats possible with any pump, really. that is user error, not mechanical flaw. Its extremely short so that pump is in tight rather than way out front. Just have to get used to it.

Ghost0

PostPosted: Sep 06, 2012 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think shotguns are overrated for home defense. That being said, a mossberg 590 is what I have currently. Mine is the 20" barrel with extended 9 shot chamber.
I think a handgun is much better for general home defense. Lighter, easier to handle and point around corners. And if you live in a state where you can get a flash supresser, even better! The flash from a gun barrel in a dark environment can temporally blind you, making it hard for a follow up shot. If you are not confident with a handgun, go practice more... Or get a laser. haha

The one thing I like about the pump shotgun, is usually the sound alone would cause someone to *&it their pants and take off. Shocked
Neognosis
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Sep 07, 2012 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

why do you think they are overrated for home defense?

I'm still interested in this discussion, but I have decided not to buy a home defense shotgun. Instead, I'm going to save my pennies and if it looks like my job is still secure at the end of December, I'm going to get myself a Caesar Guerini Summit Ascent instead.

jgriffith
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Sep 07, 2012 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Ghost0, I prefer a handgun for home defense for the reasons stated. One advantage the shotgun does have though is that it is probably safer due to its limited range.
jgriffith
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Sep 07, 2012 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neognosis, thats a lot of pennies, looks like a great gun though!
Neognosis
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Sep 07, 2012 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, it is a lot of pennies for sure... but that's not even an "expensive" O/U sporting clays gun. Have you checked out any Perazzi's or Kolar's or Kreighoffs?

Quote:
I think a handgun is much better for general home defense. Lighter, easier to handle and point around corners. And if you live in a state where you can get a flash supresser, even better! The flash from a gun barrel in a dark environment can temporally blind you, making it hard for a follow up shot. If you are not confident with a handgun, go practice more... Or get a laser. haha

Sorry, I didn't see this before.

But, it seems that these advantages only mean anything at all in a situation that is extremely unlikely to ever occur, while the shotgun seems a better choice for the situation that is less unlikely to occur.

Hey, they make a home security safe right here in Rochester, NY that I'm considering.

http://www.sentrysafe.com/Products/478/HDC11E_Home_Defense_Center

jason_ssr
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Sep 07, 2012 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is alot of debate about what makes the best home defense weapon. The arguement basically goes like this with shotgun, vs. Rifle vs. pistol:

When you are scared and running on adrenaline, your best option for hitting something you aim at is with a shoulder mounted gun (shotgun\rifle). Also, you are much more compact in your shooting position with a shouldered weapon, as a pistol you are generally arm extended.

A pistol\shotgun projectile is preferred over a high powered rifle for penitration purposes mentioned above.

You shoot a pistol with it out away from your body, and you dont move around well in the shooting position. Much more risk of having it removed from your possession. However it is easier to secure and have at the ready in the middle of the night.

A shotgun has a small capacity, and examples show that under duress, the average Joe cant hit crap so capacity is a must.

The happy medium is the pistol calibered (or light calibered) sub. Shouldered, high cap, pistol projectile, compact posture. Thats why LEOs use them to clear buildings.

I think the important thing is to just have something.

Neognosis
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Sep 08, 2012 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if capacity is "a must" when you are shooting a shotgun with an open choke and a load of, say, #4 shot. What say you?
jason_ssr
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Sep 08, 2012 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. I think the real flaw in the argument is that "home defense" means different things to different people, and there is no one single solution for every kind of action/scenario.

For a single guy living alone, I think a shotgun is fine if you the type of guy who calls the cops and sits tight in your room with a gun pointed at your closed bedroom door. That is a smart defensive position. (what i would do)

However, what if your a family man with kids upstairs? Now you need to be able to move.

What if it's more than one guy and it turns into a spray fest as you are on the move to secure your kids? That capacity starts to matter.

This is why there is no right answer except to have a little of everything in your safe! Smile (or that KSG, haha!)

joedirt00
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Baker City

PostPosted: Sep 08, 2012 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mossberg 590 holds 8 in the tube. Very compact. Like. Dumb ass I sold mine years ago.

-If you grab a girls hair, and it comes off in your hand, don't laugh, that could have been the best sex ever.
Neognosis
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Sep 08, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the chances of an intruder entering my home? Now what are the chances of a well armed team of assassins willing to trade gunfire w me instead of run away and rob someone else?

That is my response to the idea that a 5 shots in a pump action shotgun are not enough.

jason_ssr
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Sep 08, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're letting you imagination get the best of you. How about two wound-up teens with pistols moving through a house they don't know, that they think is empty, and you scare them and they panic fire feeling cornered?

The process of all parties shooting and running for their lives generally makes for alot of shots fired with little accuracy.

Again there are many schools of thought and none are wrong. Personally I believe capacity and portability are of primary importance over heavy hitting, scatter effects. But, that KSG kinda covers everything, lol.

Neognosis
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Sep 08, 2012 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You ain't need accuracy if'n you got a scattergun.

In a house, in a hallway or average sized living room, some #4 shot in a 3 inch magnum is going to cover the whole mount w five shells.

Wait, wait, MY imagination? Tell me, who is having a spray fest as they run to secure their kids? What their or burgler sticks around to shoot it out? Are you holding drugs for some cartel? LOL!
either way, I see nine shot shotguns on the market as well. Idk, maybe burglers or hopped op kids stick around for high volume gunfire exchange and I am wrong. Can't hurt to have, right?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Non-Wakeboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Add To Favorites

Jump to: